Cristiano Ronaldo, who also starred for Manchester United and Real Madrid, is the highest-profile positive test footballer for Covid-19, which has killed more than a million people since the pandemic began earlier this year.
Ronaldo, 35, who has won the Ballon d’Or five times, played on Sunday in the Portuguese Nations League goalless draw against France in Paris.
The federation added that, according to the French Football Federation, the majority of the Portugal squad were “all negative” after tests on Tuesday morning, as was the France squad.
For Portugal, Ronaldo has scored 101 goals and will be a significant absence for his team against Sweden as they try to hold on to their group’s top spot.
As the health protocol in effect for Serie A states that Ronaldo must self-isolate for 10 days and then report a negative test before he can resume playing, his contracting the illness is also a significant blow for Juventus.
That means Ronaldo will miss Juventus Serie A match at Crotone on Saturday and the opening Champions League group stage game at Dynamo Kiev in a week for the Italian champions.
After the Champions League clash with Barcelona on October 28, which was expected to pit Ronaldo against his old rival Lionel Messi, he is still a doubt for Juventus.
The test result revived the controversy over his departure from Turin for the training camp in Portugal, which, according to local health authorities in the Piedmont region of Italy, was a breach of the protocol on viruses.
Despite the squad being in quarantine, Ronaldo and other Juventus players left to join their national teams after two staff members tested positive for the virus.
The Director of the Regional Health Authority, Roberto Testi, said local prosecutors were told of the players’ unauthorised departure.
Coronavirus has killed over a million people, and 37 million people have been infected. A second wave is now being battled by several nations that suppressed their first outbreaks.